Skip to main content

Robin Hood 3x04 "Sins of the Father"

I took about a two month break from my rewatch. Since I last reviewed an episode I've been working on a Robin Hood fanfic (the rough draft is finished and I'm editing now and trying to work up the courage to post it), rewatching random episodes of other shows (kinda on a Charmed kick lately), and started a new rewatch of Robin Hood with a fan group I'm in. I've also, of course, been dealing with real life. I know quarantine is over for most people, but not my family! I'll still be out of work until at least the end of August (I work in a school and while I absolutely love my job, I'm honestly considering looking for a new one because I'm really concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming school year) and my husband is still mostly working from home. At least that means I still have time to watch my shows! I think another reason the rewatch has been going so much slower for season three is that my heart is really just not in it. I love seasons one and two so much and season three just...it lost a lot of its magic for me, you know? I still love the show, but it's not what I think of when I think of everything I love about Robin Hood. That being said, I'm determined to finish this before I start any other shows so I'm getting back into it. Let's begin!

See the source image

Thoughts While Watching


  • Seriously...why does anyone work for the sheriff?
  • Robin is so adorable in this opening scene. Love the wink!
  • My first thought here is they could have killed someone if one of those guards or any of the people nearby were allergic to bees. I don't know why I have these thoughts and can't just sit back and enjoy the episode and laugh like everyone else. Maybe it's because I saw a post about My Girl last night.
  • This reminds me that my taxes are due in two days and I haven't done them yet. 
  • Kate, seriously, I get your frustration and my mouth would probably get me into trouble too, but you need to shut up. 
  • Wouldn't it be easier for the peasants to pay their taxes if their businesses weren't destroyed? Is the sheriff's goal to get money or to terrorize people?
  • There's a surprising amount of sexual harassment and thinly veiled threats of sexual assault in this show. There seems to be more as the show goes on. 
  • I love Allan, "I'm wounded." I feel bad for Kate though. When I first saw this I was annoyed with her, but I get where she's coming from a bit better now. I've been in this position where someone tried to help and made things worse. I love the banter between Allan and Kate though. Allan/Djaq will always be my otp and I still don't really like Kate, but I have to admit, Allan/Kate have better chemistry than Robin/Kate or Much/Kate. 
  • I love that John was the one to comfort both Marian and Kate when they first go to the forest. He's such a sweetheart.
  • Kate was pretty useful there, tripping the son and putting him in a choke hold. I'm impressed. Not as impressed as I am at Much ducking the sword though. Much really is an amazing fighter.
  • Here we are killing guards again even though we supposedly don't do that.
  • I absolutely love Allan. He's so adorable! I love this banter between him and Kate while they're tied up. I love how he's teasing her but also willing to make fun of himself to make her laugh.
  • Tuck is being a human medieval lie detector test.
  • This poor guy is such a terrible liar. I love the sheriff though. "Underneath this harsh surface there's just more harsh surface."
  • Hmm...okay, so...let's think about this. Rufus' son doesn't remember this wedding so it's safe to say he was either a young child or not even born yet. I don't think they said exactly how many years ago this took place (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm guessing it would have to be at least ten years ago if not more (probably more like twenty). Rufus was described as still being a boy (I'm guessing a teenager?) and only the older generation of John and Kate's mom seem to remember the family, none of the younger generation do. In 1x01 it's explained that this sheriff only took over from Marian's father about 4-5 years before the show starts. So...how was Rufus' father this sheriff's first execution? Rufus made it clear that it happened in Nottingham too so it's not like Vaisey killed him somewhere else before he came to Nottingham to be the sheriff. That would have been an easy way to save this. If they would've just not included the part where it happened in this town or mentioned that it happened somewhere else after they left town and moved to wherever Vaisey used to live.
  • I feel bad for Rufus honestly. He's terrible and evil and deserved to die, but I don't think he really deserved to hear that his father's death was his fault. It really wasn't. Did anybody blame Will for his dad's hand being cut off? No, they blamed the sheriff. 
  • Allan, I love you, but I'm not a fan of the casual sexism here, joke or not. "It's not as if we need another girl around, is it? We got Much." Rude to Kate, rude to Much, rude to all women everywhere, and oh, hey, did you forget about Djaq? You know, the girl you had around as part of the gang for years? She hasn't been gone that long, geez.
  • And Kate's officially joined the gang.
  • Aww, poor Much. He's jealous of Kate and Allan's flirting. Don't worry about Allan, Much. It's Robin you have to worry about. But also, "I saw her first" doesn't matter when it comes to relationships. She's just not that into you. Respect that. You deserve so much better anyway. Go find Eve!
See the source image

Final Thoughts

I actually really like this episode, but I can't stand continuity errors. Kate definitely annoys me less on this rewatch than she did the first time around. I was upset the first time I watched this because I shipped Allan/Djaq so hard and not only did Djaq end up with Will and got written off the show but now they seemed to be pairing off Allan with a new girl I didn't like so I was pissed. Looking back though, Allan/Kate would have been so much better than the Much/Kate/Robin/Isabella hot mess that we actually got. At least Allan/Kate had some real chemistry in this episode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robin Hood 1x08 "Tattoo? What Tattoo?"

This episode is a major turning point for the show. It calls back to a few things we've seen before, including Robin's nightmare from a few episodes ago, his wound, and the conversation he had with Guy in the first episode when Guy mentioned having seen Robin fight before, all of which was foreshadowing for the big reveal in this episode. The episode is sort of split into two parts. Half of it is focused on Djaq, her capture, and the attempts to free her, and the other half is focused on Guy and Robin. It's a really important episode with some great scenes in it and gives some fascinating insight into Robin's character, including in my opinion, highlighting several of his major character flaws. Let's begin! Thoughts While Watching: We open with a flashback of when Robin and Much were in Acre that's actually part of a dream that Robin's having in the present day. We see him get injured and try to stop someone, who we find out is Guy, from killing t...

Robin Hood 2x05 "Ducking and Diving"

This is probably the very best episode of the entire series. This is Robin Hood at it's absolute peak. I cannot even begin to explain how much I absolutely adore this episode. It ripped my heart apart and stomped on it, sure, but it is genuinely excellent in every way and contains the scene that is probably my OTP's finest moment. We're at the episode where Robin finds out he has a traitor in his gang. Personally, I think it would have been better to go another episode or two of Allan being a traitor before the big reveal as I think it would have made even more of an impact, since at this point he hasn't really betrayed them that many times. He might've told Guy something the night he escaped the dungeon (but I don't count that as a betrayal since it was to save his own life), he told Guy they were going to break into the strongroom again (but Guy already knew that so he didn't give up any valuable information at all), he told Guy about the fake order from ...

Robin Hood 2x02 "The Booby and the Beast"

This episode is one of the strangest and most ridiculous episodes of the entire series but it's also one of the most fun! It holds a special place in my heart just for being the Djaq-in-a-dress episode and has one of my absolute favorite scenes: the reactions of the rest of the gang to her wearing a dress. If you're looking for anything even closely resembling historical accuracy or realism, this definitely isn't the episode for you. But then again, if that's what you're looking for, you might want to try a different series altogether. We'll be headed to medieval Las Vegas for this one; let's begin! Thoughts While Watching: Okay so, before we even get started, I just gotta ask...does "booby" mean something different in British slang? Or does it have some other meaning that I'm unaware of? I have literally never heard it used in the context that it's used here before in my life. In my world, a booby is a breast. It's always t...